Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 2: Getting Back into the Swing +$720

I started the day at a Rock Garden-- a table full of solid regs, TAGs, and 2 aggressive LAGs. 

First key hand was a decent semibluff against a LAG at 5-200 Spread limit holdem. 
I was dealt 52ss as the BB, she was in the SB.  4 players limped in preflop, I obviously check the action.

Flop (pot $25):  6s 5c Kd rainbow.  I bet out $20, everyone folds except the LAG in the small blind who calls. 
Turn (pot $65): 9s.  She bets out from the small blind, $50 which is her M.O.  She likes to call flop and bet out on turn.  So, I raise her $150, she tanks for a while and folds.

Then my next key hand was just a stupid mistake on my part.  The table was a little tight and I decided to make a move with a preflop raise from the BB with KQss into 5 limpers.  I raised $45 and UTG called.  UTG was a 'bored' reg reading a paper and he had been making moves all day.

Flop (pot $115):  Ac 5d 3h rainbow.  I bet $100 and he snap calls.
Turn (pot $315):  5c.  I max bet $200, he tanks then calls.
River (pot $715):  Kd.  I check, he checks.

He turns over 4d 2d for the flopped straight LOL. 

This pot was a huge mistake on my part trying to balance a little bit and take advantage of my image.  There just was no need to do this at this table, I should have been a little more patient.  So, now i'm stuck around $300 and decide to switch tables since I blew my table image with that play.

I take a break, walk around, and reset.  I vow to just play nit-TAG poker, no moves.  Just basic TAG.

I sit down with $250, am card dead for an hour but was able to capitalize on weak play and mistakes from the donks, so at this point I have $275 ish and then I hit this key hand against a bully Maniac who had been throwing his weight around.

He raised preflop $15 from MP, two players call.  I'm on the BTN with A8cc and decide to 3 bet him to $50, he calls everyone else folds.

Flop (pot $165): 8s 7d 6h rainbow.  He checks, I bet $75 he calls.
Turn (pot $315):  7h.  He checks, I max bet all in about $150, he calls.
River(pot $615):  2d

He turns over 96o. 
I win with A8cc

My stack is around $1,000 ($700 up) when I ran into a series of really tough folds bumping heads with the other big stack at the table on my immediate left.  Both of our play had been solid and we both had been showing down top hands.  I had QQ preflop twice, 3bet, and he 4bets, I fold and he shows KK both times.  Then a few hands later I had KK, 3bet pre to $150, he calls, flop: Ad 2d 3h and of course he has the ace, bets and I fold (he shows AK).

This was a horrid hour where I lost 5 big premium hands, but I lost the minimum and I was proud of myself for remaining tilt free and making the right laydowns. 

Then this key hand came up between us.  I'm SB, have $500ish and KTcc.  Preflop limpfest 5 players call, I decide not to raise and just check. 

Flop (pot $25): Jc 9c 5c.  I check, BB bets $30, everyone folds, I look at my cards as if i'm doing the club check and then I call (yes, some hollywooding here).

Turn is 9h:  I check and he overbets the pot, bets $125.  I check raise and make it $325, he tanks then puts me all in.
River: 4s

He had Ah9d
I win with King high flush.

Overall, I felt really good today and played a solid B+ game.  At this level I just have to keep telling myself that nit-TAG is the way to go.  The players are bad enough to where there is no need to 'loosen up' and play.  Just play the cards and let them give you their money.  Similarly, most of the players are very readable.

Had things gone a little different I could have easily been up over $1K, but that will come in time.  $720 for 6.5 hours of play isn't too bad :)

Hope to keep the momentum going tomorrow

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a pretty nice day. Good to see you taking care of business against the fish.
    The real test of your staying power will be when you hit a tilt. I'm not talking about having a break even day either, I'm talking about losses 3 days in a row and resisting the urge to commit more of your bankroll to recoup.
    Speaking of bankroll, I think you are bit short to be playing 5-200 spread limit , but you haven't really let on how much you really have.
    Anyway don't misunderstand my comments from yesterday, I wish you the best. You just don't seem ready/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joseph,

    Fair enough. Truth is, most poker players are not winning players so who the fuck am I to try to turn pro? Of course I 'think' that i'm good enough but then again, so to do all losing players right?

    I think what separates me from them is that i'm results oriented and honest with myself. I analyze my play constantly and try to learn and keep improving. I've also joined Dueces Cracked and 2+2, and try to focus on having the right mindset.

    But when all is said and done, the only thing that matters are the results and I hope that I can generate good results.

    As far as my bankroll is concerned. That is a little bit of a risk, i'm at 17 Buy-ins which is not ideal but I feel I have enough to whether 'normal' variance. But if I do step into a sick negative variance cooler then i'm screwed.

    And yuou are right, how I handle tilt will determine if I am cut out for this. I feel I have a good handle on my emotions. I may bitch and whine a little bit here on this blog, but at the table I never talk, I never criticize fish or tell donks what they 'should have done'. If they suck out on me I tell them nice hand, shake it off then get back in the game.

    Believe it or not, I need people like you following my blog and keeping me honest. So don't worry about any comments, say what you feel and thanks for taking the time to read my blog

    ReplyDelete